Thank you for your interest in submitting to Unearthed.
Unearthed welcomes work from across the globe. We are particularly interested in forms of making that consider how we use space, what “place” means to us, and also how we uncover and tell stories. We welcome submissions from both emerging and established artists, and aim to publish students, faculty, and practicing artists alike.
The average response time for a submission is six to eight weeks. We regret that we are unable to pay contributors at this time, but we remain committed to not charging a fee for any submissions. We do not accept submissions of work that have been previously published.
Guidelines: We read all submissions through Submittable (https://unearthed.submittable.com/submit).We read year-round, but we will not be viewing submissions for the fall 2019 issue until after August 15.
For the fall 2019 issues, we are open for submissions from May 2019-October 1.
We allow simultaneous submissions but ask to be notified if your work is accepted elsewhere. Text submissions must be formatted as a word doc or PDF and submitted AS ONE DOCUMENT. Please do not include your name as either part of the file’s name or within the documents themselves. All work and genres should be submitted with the guidelines below.
- Poetry: please submit no more than 10 pages of work, with only one poem on a page.
- Fiction: please submit fiction of no more than 15 pages, with a title and page numbers.
- Creative and critical non-fiction: please submit no more than 15 pages, with a title and page numbers.
- Visual Art: up to ten items, formatted as .jpg, .tiff , .png, or .pdf with a minimum resolution of 300 dpi and at least 5 inches wide. Include titles for each piece. Please send all submissions as ONE submission, not as separate ones. Thank you.
- Video: up to two video products submitted in .wav, .wmv, .avi, or .mov.
Cover Letter: Though publication history and credentials will not influence the potential inclusion of your submission, feel free to include a short cover letter, with the title of your works, and a biographical statement of 100 words or less with your submission. This portion of your submission will not be read before your submission is read.