Unearthed invites submissions in the genres of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and visual art from students, professors, alumni, and local professionals and journalists working in environment-related fields.
Unearthed is an online magazine published by SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry and run by the ESF Writing Program and the Office of Communications staff . Unearthed honors the legacy of ESF’s original print creative journal, Ecologue and seeks to publish work in the genres of non-fiction, fiction, poetry and artwork. Unearthed publishes work that focuses on the built and natural environments including pieces with a focus on sustainability, science, engineering, communication, design, policy, media, eco-critique, and activism.
We especially encourage submission of works that are new media and those that blend genres such as photo and video essays.
Unearthed accepts submissions from September 1 to April 30 of each year. To be considered for the spring issue, submissions must be received by February 15. Submissions will be considered and authors will receive a response after the editorial group convenes–relative to our spring edition publishing deadlines.
We allow simultaneous submissions but ask to be notifi ed if your work is accepted elsewhere. Text submissions must be formatted as .doc or .docx, or .txt. Please email submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Poetry: Format as you would like the pieces to appear in print.
- Fiction: No more than 2,000 words.
- Creative Non-Fiction: No more than 2,000 words.
- Visual Art: Format as .jpg, .tiff , .png, or .pdf with a minimum resolution of 300 dpi and be at least 5 inches wide. Include titles for each piece.
- Video: One 3 minute digital video product submitted in .wav, .wmv, .avi, or .mov.
Please include a short biographical statement of 100 words or less with your submission, written in the third person.